Hello dear reader,
It is sunday morning, and being a traditional type of chap I’m doing that rather splendid sunday morning ritual that I like, this has evolved over time to include the following:
1) Stagger round the bedroom only half aware I’m actually awake.
2) Walk downstairs carefully avoiding opening both eyes at once in case this prompts sensory overload.
3) Walk through the dining room (and this is the new bit) and stub my toe on the table I was supposed to put together yesterday.
Now you may think (quite rightly) that you have no interest whatever in my morning ritual, the fact that I walk the dog only after having one large cup of coffee and two cigarettes simply flies over your head as though it was completely uninteresting, try as I might I cannot “sex” it up to the point where it becomes interesting to even myself.
You may feel this is going nowhere and I must have started drinking in the mornings, I haven’t by the way that would be weird, sherry only after 6pm is what it tells me in the good guide to being an Englishman.
The point, however silly it seems, is my table, this isn’t a new table, it’s one I have been gifted, very nice it is too, all wooden and table-like with a flash of metal, even has chairs, but I digress. The thing that struck me this morn was that I kinda wished it was a SL table, if that were the case I would have had to put of getting the tool box out and actually assembling the damned thing, no I could just have “rezzed” it wherever I liked with no more effort than just pointing. As it is on the floor of my dining room is a rather forlorn looking collection of wood and metal, that I trust to be a table and chairs once put together. This doesnt happen in SL, if you want something you can just go buy it and rez, then if you decide that you no longer like it just pick it up. If I decide I don’t like this table I’m kinda stuck with it.
The way I see it we have two choices to correct this imbalance in both worlds.
1) Ban all flying and tp’ing in SL, make ppl walk I say, think of the potential money generated by SL taxi drivers and/or bus companies, now I don’t ride the bus in RL so am unlikely to do so in a virtual world, I look forward to the first limo company being created in SL tho 😀 This would also allow me to make some use of the collection of cars I have in my inventory, other than parking them outside the Winchester of course.
2) Improve RL to include the ability to simply teleport to anywhere you wish, provided you haven’t been banned for being partnered to the owner, turning into a rather weird 14-year-old stalker man/boy. (This happens often I believe) The ability to fly and store my belongings in a hard drive connected to my brain would also be a welcome relief, if like me, you consider the act of going up into the loft as some kind of mental torture designed to persuade that you would in fact rather be doing anything else, including even that bastard offspring of mundane tasks “going shopping for wallpaper on a sunday afternoon when you would rather be laid on the sofa watching tv and eating chocolate”
So, in summary option two may require more work, and the involvement of people with big brains that would be expensive to be made to get out of bed. So clearly option one it is. I look forward to beeping the horn on my vintage Jaguar, roof down possibly wearing a Trilby. To enable this to all work we would need some form of government, I would like to put myself forward for a position of immense power. TY.
As fascinating as this would all be it does mean that SL would mirror RL more greatly, and I’ve seen enough reality shows in my time to know this would be a bad idea, imagine if SL had people desperate to be a celebrity, hell it would probably even throw up various annoyances including gossip blogs that spills nothing but annoying “non-news”. God knows SL doesnt need THAT. but more importantly it doesn’t mean my table would be put together without me expanding any effort….I’m off to fetch the tool box, I think I prefer things the way they are after all.